Cuts to cleaning and patient catering services will lead to a greater threat of infection and health problems for patients at St George’s says GMB.
GMB, the union for staff in the health service, will hold a demonstration against sweeping cuts to cleaning and catering services at St George’s Hospital on Thursday, 24th March. (See notes to editors for previous GMB press releases about St George’s Hospital)
Outsourced cleaning and patient catering services, which have already been stretched in recent years, are to be reduced further following a new deal between St George’s NHS Trust and its private contractor, Mitie. The deal will leave wards with fewer hours of cleaning and patient catering service, putting patients at greater risk of infection and health problems.
GMB members and NHS campaigners will demonstrate on Thursday, 24th March between 12 and 2pm at the address as follows:
Blackshaw Road Entrance
St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
St George’s NHS Trust and Mitie held a series of meetings with workers last year to consult with them about the new deal, but failed to mention any reductions to services. The proposed cuts were announced this month without consultation with GMB, the NHS union representing the workers. The Trust and Mitie have declined to hold new consultation meetings following the announcement.
Kieron Merrett, GMB Regional Organiser, said: “NHS budgets are severely stretched, but St George’s NHS Trust must not be tempted to cut corners and put their patients at risk.
Sweeping cuts to cleaning and patient catering services will lead to a greater threat of infection and health problems for patients at St George’s.
St George’s NHS Trust failed to mention reductions to services when they consulted with catering and cleaning workers, and are now refusing to hold further meetings. They have taken a cowardly and irresponsible approach. Now is the time for the Trust to face up to its responsibilities, and sit down and discuss the proposals with GMB and the workers affected.”
Contact: Contact Kieron Merrett on 07866 441 656 or GMB press office on 07970 863411 or 07739 182691
Notes to editors
Previous GMB press release dated Tuesday 31 March 2015
GMB Concerns Over Patient Safety Arising From £10 million Emergency Cutbacks At St George’s Hospital In Tooting
Tory-Lib Dem Government failure to fund the NHS properly shows why it is vital the NHS remains at the top of the agenda as we approach the General Election says GMB
GMB, the union for healthcare staff, is expressing concern over patient safety at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, after its Chief Executive announced immediate emergency cutbacks.
Miles Scott the Chief Executive has announced that spending on staff cover and supplies will now be “strictly limited,” leading to fears that the hospital could be under-staffed and under-equipped over the coming year. See notes to editors for copy of his statement to staff.
Kieron Merrett, GMB Regional Organiser, said “St George’s, which was recently granted NHS Foundation Trust status, has found itself more than £10m in deficit for the current financial year.
This is a very worrying development for both patients and staff at St George’s.
The Trust was already due to make £43m of cuts in the next financial year in order to meet its Cost Improvement Plan. This £43m cuts package was already going to be a huge blow for South London’s NHS service.
Patients and staff will now be concerned about whether the hospital will be able to guarantee patient safety and maintain basic services in the next financial year.
This highlights the appalling impact that the Tory-Lib Dem Government failure to fund the NHS properly is having across the country. It shows why it is vital the NHS remains at the top of the agenda as we approach the General Election in May."