GMB Experts in the World of Work
Join GMB today
 Follow @GMB_union

No Translink Deal With GMB

Thursday, July 23, 2015

GMB Rebut Translink Announcement Of Agreement For Planned Bus And Train Service Changes To Go Ahead From 1 September 2015

True detail of what is contained in announcement remains hidden and must be provided to members without delay for their consideration says GMB.

GMB, the union for staff at Translink in Northern Ireland, rebutted the announcement made on 22nd July 2015 by David Strahan Group Chief Executive.

Mr Strahan announced in his weekly update to staff that there is an agreement that the planned bus and train service changes will be implemented with effect from 1 September 2015 and there is also an agreement to establish a joint working group which will examine the long term impact of the reduced budget of the company. See previous GMB releases on the issue.

Michael Mullholland, GMB Regional Officer, said “I must make it clear for the avoidance of doubt that there is no agreement with GMB.

GMB is extremely disappointed that Translink managers, along with the DRD, have made an announcement which promises to deliver £6m in savings which involves simply re-engineering services while maintaining current front line staffing levels. An agreement with GMB is unlikely until we are convinced that there are indeed savings to be had.

This announcement has had no buy in or involvement from GMB or the other unions who continue to represent members across the Translink organisation.

This announcement was arrived at by excluding input from the GMB on behalf of our members.

Our members are keen to know the full details of this announcement and what the real cuts are. I believe the true detail of what is contained in this announcement remains hidden and must be provided to the GMB members without delay for their consideration.”

End

Contact:  Michael Mulholland on 07974 018 413 or Denise Walker 07808 101357 or Alan Perry 07974 018410 or 02890 393340 or GMB press office 07974 251 823 or 07921 289880

Notes to editors

Copy of previous GMB press releases re dispute at Translink

GMB MEMBERS IN TRANSLINK TWO WEEKS OF INDUSTRIAL ACTION SHORT OF STRIKE IN DISPUTE OVER CUTS TO JOBS AND SERVICES IN NORTHERN IRELAND

A meeting today (23rd April) of GMB shop stewards representing members employed in Translink agreed to two weeks of industrial action short of strike from 00.01 on Friday 1st May until 23.59 of Friday 15th May to  over proposed cuts in the public sector in Northern Ireland. GMB has now served notice for this discontinuous action on the employer.

This follows strike action on 13th March 2015 by GMB members employed in Translink, in Education and in the Northern Ireland Civil Service in the Road Service, the Rivers Agency, the Forestry Service and Northern Ireland Environment Agency over the proposed cuts.

Earlier this week GMB gave notice to the 5 NHS Trusts that members will be taking part in action short of strike from 27th April for 2 weeks. This is because there has been no movement by the Minister or Department on dealing with the issue of pay for NHS workers in Northern Ireland - unlike the position in the other three nations. GMB ambulance workers will commence 2 weeks overtime ban starting on 28th April. See notes to editors for copy of previous GMB releases on this dispute.

Michael Mulholland, GMB Regional Organiser, said “GMB shop stewards in Translink agreed that members will take two weeks of discontinuous industrial action short of strike over the threats to jobs and services arising from the cuts to budgets in Northern Ireland. 

GMB require full transparency on the detail of the Stormont House Agreement and what further impacts these will have on the population of Northern Ireland as a whole

GMB want active trade union engagement on the working out of the broad impact of the proposed cuts and how these impact on everyone not just public sector workers.

In addition members employed by contractors who provide services to the public sector who will be impacted by these cuts are not able to avail of any enhanced exit package and indeed they have little recourse at all. This is not acceptable.”

End

GMB press release dated 3rd March 2015

GMB MEMBERS IN EDUCATION, TRANSPORT AND CIVIL SERVICE IN NORTHERN IRELAND VOTE FOR STRIKE ACTION ON MARCH 13 OVER CUTS

Under the Stormont House Agreement thousands of jobs and millions of pounds will be taken from the economy in both the public and private sectors with as many as 20,000 jobs going for good says GMB

GMB members employed in Translink, in Education and in the Northern Ireland Civil Service  in the Road Service, the Rivers Agency, the Forestry Service and Northern Ireland Environment Agency have voted for industrial action on the 13th March over proposed cuts in the public sector in Northern Ireland. GMB members in the NHS in Northern Ireland have already taken action after an earlier voted for strike action. See notes to editors for copy of GMB press release dated 28th Jan 2015.

Alan Perry, GMB Regional Officer, said “GMB now have a mandate for members in Education, Translink, Northern Ireland Civil Service and NHS to take action on the 13th March against cuts in the public sector in the pipeline.

GMB members disagree with economic elements the Stormont House Agreement as follows:

There is not £2 billion in new money.

The Westminster Government is making the Assembly Executive take a pay-day loan to invest in redundancies.

As many as 20,000 jobs could disappear forever.

Hundreds of jobs have already been lost in the Community and Arts Sector. More will follow impacting on young people, the elderly and the most vulnerable across the community

The savings from these redundancies could be used to pay for a tax cut for big business

If corporation tax is lowered there will be a further reduction in the block grant and public services. There is no guarantee that a single job will be created because of this hand-out to businesses and large corporations.

There is an absolute certainty that thousands of jobs and millions of pounds will be taken from the economy in both the public and private sectors – thousands will join the dole queues.

Many thousands of public servants who have been made redundant as well as thousands of private sector workers who will lose their jobs as a consequence, face the prospect of fighting for minimum wage, zero hour or call centre employment or the everyday humiliations which are a growing feature of the cruel Tory “vision” of welfare.

This is a bad financial deal fit only for a land of pound shops and food banks rather than the society members voted for at the last election.

GMB members with other union members take action for a decent society and there is a better and fairer way”.

End

Share this page
+1